This month, I have the pleasure of hosting Cooking With Seeds, a monthly event started in January 2010 by Priya of Priya's Versatile Recipes. Each month has a theme, which is chosen by the host. The theme I chose is rye or millet.
I first chose rye because, thanks to my share in a grain CSA, I have recently started to use this cereal more in my kitchen (for example, in this cake or this bread). Rye, however, is not as widely available as needed for an event that involves food bloggers from all over the world, so I added millet, a seed with which I am not familiar, so this choice will motivate me to learn more about it. Additionally, millet is gluten free, so the event theme embraces people who need or choose to refrain from eating cereal grains.
Both rye and millet are available in several forms: as whole grains, flours, flakes, etc. If you are familiar with one form, maybe you want to try a new one. For example, I recently asked for my share of rye to be distributed to me as whole grain, so I have been playing with cooking rye as I usually cook barley.
I will be glad to receive your contribution to the event. Here are the simple rules for participating:
- Submit one or more savory or sweet dishes containing rye or millet in any form (whole grain, flour, flake, etc.) as one of the main ingredients.
- Only fresh entries are allowed, published on your blog between August 1st and 31st.
- Link from your post(s) to this announcement and to the event page on Priya's blog. Feel free to download and use the logo above.
- Send an e-mail to simosite AT mac DOT com and include your name, blog name and blog address, a permanent link to your post(s) and a photo (maximum width 400px). Please, include the acronym "CWS" in the email subject, so I can more easily retrieve the message in my inbox.
- If you do not have a blog, you can still participate by sending me your recipe(s) with a picture at the email address indicated above.
Sometimes messages get lost in cyberspace, so if you don't receive an acknowledgment of your email or see a comment on your post, please contact me again by leaving a comment on this announcement.
I will publish a roundup of the event at the beginning of September.