fava bean and pea soup
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Keywords: soup/stew low-carb onion fava beans peas bread spring
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 1/4 lb. [570 g] fresh fava beans
- 1 lb. [450 g] fresh English peas
- Olive oil
- 8 oz. [225 g] red onion, finely chopped
- 2 scallions, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, scrubbed and chopped
- 1.5 cup [355 ml] homemade light chicken stock or vegetable option
- 1 cup [240 ml] water
- 4-5 basil leaves, slivered
- sea salt and freshly milled black pepper
- Slices of rye bread, or of other bread of choice
- Freshly grated fiore sardo
Shell peas and fava beans. Blanch fava beans for one minute, drain them and plunge them into a bowl of cold water. Drain them again and then remove the skin from the beans to bring their bright green core to light. Set aside.
Warm olive oil in a soup pot and add onion and scallions. Stir to coat and let cook for a few minutes. Add carrot and celery, stir and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring often. Add the broth and water, cover, bring to a boil, then lower the heat and gently cook for 20 minutes, until the onion is soft.
Add the peas and basil, and cook for 5 minutes, then add the fava beans. Cook until the legumes are tender to your liking. Taste after 5-7 minutes and evaluate how much more time is needed. Adjust salt and pepper. When the soup is almost ready, toast the bread and line the bottom of soup bowls. Pour hot soup over the bread and let sit for a minute, then sprinkle cheese on the soup and serve immediately.