Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Keywords: bake bread vegetarian butter wheat flour citrus zest black pepper
IngredientsFor the dough
- 1 cup all-purpose flour [130 g / 4.6 oz.]
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour [65 g / 2.3 oz.]
- 3 oz (6 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces [85 g]
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly milled black pepper
- Grated orange peel from half a medium orange (1 teaspoon if using a Microplane grater) [5 ml]
- 1 large or extra-large egg, lightly beaten in a small bowl
- 2 tablespoons [30 ml] cold yogurt
- Dried grated orange peel
- Freshly milled black pepper
Put the flours, zest, salt and pepper in the food processor and process briefly to mix. Add the butter and pulse a few times, until the mixture has the consistency of coarse meal. Empty the food processor's bowl on your kneading surface. Make a well in the center and pour the egg and yogurt in it. With the help of a fork, incorporate the liquid into the flour mixture.
Knead lightly just until the dough comes together into a ball (if necessary, add a bit more yogurt), shape it into a thick disk, wrap it in plastic, and put it in the fridge until well chilled.
When you are ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet lined with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Roll the dough to 1/6-inch thickness (4 mm) and cut using a small (2-inch diameter) biscuit cutter. Distribute the savory frollini on the sheet, leaving at least 1.5 inches between them. Put leftover dough back into the fridge while you finish preparing the first batch. Sprinkle a bit of orange zest and a tiny amount of pepper on the surface of each frollino.
Put the sheet in the oven. Check the frollini after 15 minutes: they are ready when they start to color and the bottom is light golden. If they need more time, carefully monitor them, as they can easily become overbaked. Cool them on a wire rack. The frollini rise and shrink slightly during baking. Roll and cut the second batch while the first is baking, then decorate and bake them after the first batch is done.